If you purchased a modem from Actrix your new broadband modem is already configured and should only need to be connected to the power, phone line and your computer.
If you have a network / ethernet card installed in your computer it is preferred that you use this instead of USB and means you do not need to use the installation disk.
If you are using a USB connection please run the installation disk, install the appropriate drivers and reboot your computer before connecting the modem.
If you complete the setup process and have trouble connecting to the Internet please try the following troubleshooting steps.
1. Try turning the modem power off and back on again, wait 3-5 minutes for it to reconnect and then test the connection again.
2. Make sure the computer is no longer set to use a dial up connection. For most versions of Windows this can be done by going to My Computer Control Panel Internet Options the Connections tab and making sure Never dial a connection is selected. If it is not, select this and click Ok.
3. If you connected with a standard installation only and a Telecom technician has not installed a dedicated broadband line please ensure all phone sockets that are in use have an ADSL line filter installed. If you have Sky Digital, a fax machine or other non-phone devices connected to the phone system these must be filtered as well.
4. If you have a monitored alarm you may need to request Telecom complete a full installation and wiring. If this is the case please contact the Actrix helpdesk. If you have an alarm but are unsure if it is monitored it would be a good idea to contact the alarm / installation company to check this as it can cause broadband connection problems.
5. If you have more than one phone line / number please make sure the broadband modem is connected to the correct line.
6. Try disconnecting all phone equipment other than the ADSL modem. This means all phones, fax machines, Sky digital sets, etc and ensure the modem is connected via a single cable without a double adaptor, surge protector or extension cord. If this resolves the problem try connecting the other equipment one piece at a time to isolate the cause.
7. If possible please test the modem at another location that has a working broadband connection. It does not have to be an Actrix connection but the username and password in the modem must be changed. Alternately try testing a modem that is known to work at your premises; again the username and password will need to be changed.
If you are unsure how to complete the above steps or find none of these help resolve your connection problems please feel free to give the helpdesk a call on 0800 228-749. Please be at your computer and have it switched on when you call.